Most international students need a student visa to study in the UK. Finding out whether you need a visa to study is easy - simply check here on GOV.UK 

Your student visa will allow you to live and study in the UK throughout your course.

If you attend a pre-departure briefing in your home country, you will pick up more handy tips on your visa application.

Types of student visa

Student visa (previously Tier 4 visa)

If you are 16 or over and want to study at higher education level, you’ll need to apply for a student visa.

You need to wait until you have an offer from a university before applying for your student visa. Your university will then be able to give you a document called a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS). To do this, your university needs to be approved by the UK government as a licensed sponsor.

Find out more about student visas.

Short-term study visas

Short term study visas are available to students who want to join courses that are up to six months long or English language courses up to 11 months long.

Find out more about short-term study visas.

Can I work in the UK on a study visa?

Many international students in the UK take a part-time job, work placement or internship alongside their studies. The hours and type of work you do will depend on the type of visa and your sponsoring university or college.

Find out more about the hours and types of work you can do on the UKCISA website.