National Education Examinations Authority (NEEA) in China and British Council jointly held the 3rd International Conference on Language Testing and Assessment and the 5th British Council New Directions in English Language Assessment Conference in Shanghai, 2017. In order to share more comprehensive introduction to the leading developments in the field of assessment, the British Council would like to hold a series of symposia in April, 2018 in 4 cities to provide the opportunity and platform for industry professionals to exchange ideas and experiences.
With a focus on China’s Standards of English, the symposia seek to attract education and testing practitioners, policy makers and implementers, and other stakeholders with an interest in the impact of assessment on education.
Time and venue
16 April East China session -- Nanjing - Nanjing Grand Hotel
23 April Southwest China session -- Kunming - Kunming University of Science and Technology
25 April North China session -- Daqing - Da Qing Museum
27 April South China session -- Guangzhou - Guangzhou Easeland Hotel
1. Plenary Speakers
2. Workshop Speakers
- Xiangdong Gu is a full time professor, PhD supervisor and director in Chongqing University, China. She also works with Cambridge English Language Assessment, Cambridge University, UK as an academic consultant since 2012. Her main research interests span across language assessment, teacher development and foreign language educational data mining. She is leading a key research project on language assessment supported by the National Philosophy and Social Science Foundation of China [Grant No.14AYY010]. She has published dozens of journal articles and has given scores of invited keynote speeches, seminars and presentations in universities and at conferences nationally and internationally.
- Shijin Wang is President of IFLYTEK Beijing Research, Vice President of IFLYTEK AI Research and Executive Director of Joint Laboratory by IFLYTEK and Harbin Institute of Technology. He graduated from University of Science and Technology of China in 2003 with a bachelor degree in Electronic Science and Technology and received his PHD degree in Pattern Recognition & Intelligent System from Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences.
He has been researching in the fields of Speech Processing, Natural Language Processing and other artificial intelligence technologies like smart Education, Justice for a long time. He led the team that won the first prize in International Oral Translation (English to Chinese as well as Chinese to English) in 2014’s IWSLT competition, and the first place in Machine Reading Comprehension testing(SQUAD,2017.8.1). He is a member of the AIIA(Artificial Intelligence Industry Alliance of China) expert committee and Vice leader of technology and industry working group of AIIA , Young Expert of Internet Association of China .
- Zhongrong Yu Holds a Master’s degree of Education. He is director of Language Testing & Education Programs of Iflytek. In 2007~2008, as product manager, he and his colleagues developed PSCP (intelligent Platform of national Putonghua Shuiping Ceshi/ mandarin level testing), which has tested more than 30,000,000 test-takers all over China. In 2008~2009, his team developed the website www.Isay365.com, which provided automatic PSC mock-test and Putonghua practice services. In 2008~2016, his team developed automatic Spoken English Testing technology and platform, which is used in Gaokao & Zhongkao of Guangdong, Shanghai, Beijing, Jiangsu, Hubei, Guizhou, Chongqing, ets. His interest is currently in developing technological systems for linking China’s language education with those abroad, such as TOEFL and IELTS, helping Chinese students to learn better with the help of AI technologies.
- Hongchen XU is professor, MA supervisor and vice-dean of the Department of English and International Studies, China Foreign Affairs University. He held his PhD from Peking University in Linguistics and Applied Linguistics in 2009 and continued his post-doctoral research in the National Research Center of Foreign Language Education, Beijing Foreign Studies University (2009-2011). His main research interests integrate issues in language teaching/learning and sociolinguistics. He has published about 40 journal articles and delivered over 20 keynote speeches, seminars and presentations nationally and internationally.
- Evan Simpson, since 2003, Evan has had the honour and privilege of teaching English to speakers from around the world. Specifically, he has taught everything from absolute beginner kindergarten students to first-year composition. Currently, he is based in Shanghai where he serves as an Assessment Solutions Consultant for the British Council. In this role, he delivers assessment literacy workshops and analyses assessments.
- Philip Horne, an Assessment Consultant for British Council China. He has worked on numerous assessment-related projects in the Middle East, East Asia and South-East Asia. These relate to exam preparation, assessment literacy and item writing. He is pursuing an MA in Language Testing through Lancaster University where his research interests include assessing pronunciation, Global English and Language Assessment Literacy.
Please find below the programme of the 5th British Council New Directions in English Language Assessment Conference Post Symposia
Conference fee: RMB 800 for working professional, RMB 500 for PhD student (including conference materials, buffet lunch and tea break. All the breakfast, dinner, transportation and accommodation will be covered by participants.)
Conference payment: We’d like to recommend you use online payment for registration. No payment service is available at the conference. Thank you for your understanding.
Conference language: The conference official language is English.