As the exclusive official vehicle for 2015 UK-China Year of Cultural Exchange, it was fantastic to work with the British Council to promote the iconic British car brand, MG. The British Council enabled us to best leverage our brand ambassador, the iconic British superstar, Benedict Cumberbatch. We were also privileged to have Ms Carma Elliot, Minister, Culture and Education, to help launch our new SUV model-MG GS. Through the launch campaign on the British Council’s dynamic and engaging digital channels, we were able to reach over 80 million people in China with the MG brand.
- Emmy Lin, Director, MG Brand Marketing Operation Department, SAIC Motor
MG, owned by SAIC Motor, is a brand that seeks to to emphasise its Britishness in its marketing. The company was able to strengthen this British positioning of the MG brand through their partnership with the British Council.
- 2015 marks a flagship year for UK-China relations with the first ever bilaterally agreed UK-China Year of Cultural Exchange. MG became the exclusive official vehicle for all events of the UK Season, which was officially launched by His Royal Highness the Duke of Cambridge.
- Carma Elliot, Director of British Council China, interviewed MG’s brand ambassador, the British TV and film personality Benedict Cumberbatch, about British culture and creativity and his partnership with MG.
- Matt Burney, Director, British Council East China, test drove a UK-China Year of Culture branded MG and launched the new MG at the Shanghai Auto Show.
- MG were also able to massively extend the reach of their marketing campaign using the British Council’s digital and social media platforms to reach their target audience of Chinese consumers with an interest in all things British.